Sunday, November 2, 2008

Saturdays

I just love Saturdays.......................as good as Fridays, but a bit better. Jim always gets up a bit before me and has fresh strong coffee waiting on me. I actually think the smell of the coffee waifs upstairs and enters my sleep. I come down and fix a big ole cup and we sit on the couches and watch TV or read and chat and drink brew until we get ready to do our chores.

This Saturday's chore was cleaning out the basement. A job long overdue! Whenever we have stuff that we don't need anymore and can't decide what to do with it, we just "put it in the basement." Well after 12 years, it gets junky down there. Plus I am on a mission to declutter and get rid of stuff we don't need, don't use or is just plain broken.

We borrowed a trailer from a good friend. Since we got rid of Jim's big truck and downsized to a Honda Civic, we didn't even have a vehicle with a trailer hitch so Zack brought Amanda's Envoy out and helped us load all the stuff. We took 3 big loads! We got rid of the old fridge, stove, a bicycle, old moldy baby furniture a friend gave me that I wouldn't be able to use, an old mixer, breadmaker, mismatched dishes, trash, bottles, wires, comforters, old table and several old mismatched chairs, 2 plastic barrels, and just other junk! The basement is so empty. Then I vacuumed up all the dead bugs and dirt and sand and salt and moved all of the boxes to one "room." Now the chore will be do keep it clean!

My gratitude list for Saturday:
1) good friends who lend you things
2) my son who helps us so much
3) my hubby for helping and being a good sport about getting rid of stuff

My gratitude list for Sunday:
1) freshly brewed coffee
2)my warm cozy bed
3)my new book, Clinton Kelly's Freakin' Fabulous

2 comments:

Karen said...

hey marianne - i can't believe you got rid of that much "stuff" - wow. you should start doing "before" and "after" photos!

see ya, karen

Just Marianne said...

awesome idea!

My husband is a pack rat and I have not been allowed to throw anything away for years. But now that we have our beach house and it is furnished with just what we need, we find that we don't miss the clutter and we have exactly what we need. Less is more! Plus we may "downsize" in a year or two and I AIN'T moving all that junk. Furthermore, with 2 kids grown and married and on their own, there junk is gone. I gave away what they didn't take with them........so liberating!