Tuesday, April 28, 2009

North Myrtle Beach Fires

Jim and I went down to our townhouse at North Myrtle Beach on Friday while the big fires were going on. It wasn't that close to us, 5 or 6 miles by the way the crow flies, but none the less scary! They finally opened 31 and 22 so we scooted by there on our way home. Here are a few pics. Some are a tab blurry as I took them while traveling 65 mph!

This is on 31 just north of Barefoot landing. It looks like the fire blew through and didn't totally burn everything.

This is on 31 with homes just north and beyond the fires. I have no idea how many homes were destroyed in this area.



This was on 22 headed to Conway.

On 22 again with burnt trees as far as I could see. So sad.

The fires were still smoldering and there was a lot of smoke on the roadway.

Completely burned out. I saw nothing green here!

2 comments:

Loyd's Lexicon said...

Burned homes are tragic,we must feel sorrow for the owners.
But the pine trees will be very green in a few years with a green and lush under growth, Nature renews.

Karen said...

Hey Marianne! Just looked at all your new posts - wow, I clicked on the photos to enlarge them - that is an amazing amount of fire so close to "civilization". I know it's hard when it's happening, but like "Loyd" says - it will be beautiful in no time!

Love the pretty flowers and flippy-flop shots too!

I don't have my book yet - should be here in a day or two. See ya soon!