Monday, April 13, 2009

Proving it to Myself!

Lately I have been on a kick to increase my stamina and rebuild some of the strength that I have lost in the past decade. I started running about 18 months ago and at first could barely run 30 seconds without getting winded. Plus with my asthma, I refuse to let it get the best of me. After finishing the 10K and feeling really good about that, I have set loftier goals! I signed up for a half marathon today! It's the Outerbanks Marathon in November. 13.1 miles...................wow! It's only a little more than double a 10k. If worse came to worse I can walk it in a little over 3 hours.

Well lately, I have wanting to get my bike out and Sunday was a very nice day for that. I had been thinking of biking down Pea Ridge to US 64 and then across the lake to the next stoplight at Wilsonville and then back. It just sounded so-o-o-o-o scary to me. I am not totally sure why! Maybe it was the thought of biking on 64 as the cars whiz by? Maybe it was the thought of being on the road all by myself? Maybe it was the thought of the wind blowing me off the bridge into the water? Maybe it was the thought of the killer hill from the lake to the intersection of US 64 and Mt Gilead/North Pea Ridge Road? It's all uphill for over 2 miles!

So after thinking about a comeback to those thoughts, I decided to do it Sunday on my way home from church............after I washed the car!
The shoulder is actually wider on 64 than North Pea Ridge and I felt safer. I wasn't really on the road all by myself....................plenty of cars whizzed by, plus it WAS daylight. I took my cellphone and had Jim in standby to come get me if I chickened out. The bridge is pretty high and the wind wasn't going to knock me into the lake. Although, I did joke with my brother about having on my inflatable tube and if I got blown in, all I had to do was pull the cord, LOL! The hill was a killer but I geared down and hunkered down and stopped twice between the lake and the stoplight. Yeah, stopping was allowed for a minute or so and a drink of water.

It took me right at an hour to complete the 10.4 miles and the sense of accomplishment was awesome. The view was awesome as it is amazing what you see from the bike. Not to mention how well I slept last night. Yeah I can run/walk 13.1 miles!

2 comments:

Joyce Mineer said...

Marianne, I am so proud of you for setting such lofty goals!!! I am in your corner 100%. I think we need to talk about being running partners when our schedules will allow? Might you be interested? I run with my husband when I can but even then, he's at least a quarter mile ahead of me because he runs considerably faster than I do. Maybe we could run together on the weekends sometime? Let's think about it! You may be interested in the Tar Heel 10 Miler next Saturday! It's a tough course but BEAUTIFUL!! And close to home! They just started this one last year and I was glad to be part of that inaugural event! My husband couldn't run it but he will be doing it this year - we're both very excited! Anyway, think about it! Looking forward to seeing you next Monday!

Just Marianne said...

Yeah, I'd love to run with you, but I might be slow! I do the run/walk/run/walk thing! It's moving in one way or another! Let's connect!

See ya tomorrow night, my runner friend!