Monday, September 29, 2008

My little kitty named Iggy

I have had Igor for almost 18 years! He is a solid black cat with just a few black hairs under his chin with the biggest green yellow eyes. We had 2 black cats and I have vivid memories of Alex as a small child, jerking up their heads and asking "what kind of kitty are you?" Actually, Iggy, as we call him, owns me. He isn't aloof or even very independent but he just decides that he is going to sit or lay on me. Right now, he is sitting across my left forearm with his head in the crook of my elbow while I type. His little body is between me and the laptop and his cute little head is be-bobbling as I type. But he is happy!

For many years, the minute I went to bed, he hopped up on the bed and kneaded my shoulders for about 5 minutes and then just draped himself across my back and shoulders til I drifted off to sleep. I used to tell Jim that I can't imagine life without him doing that because I love him so much. Well now he is a very old man-kitty. I fear the end is near as he has been frail and small for a year or so. Every morning when I wake up and every evening when I come home form work, I quietly look to see if he is still breathing. Just the other day, he fell while trying to jump from one counter top to the other. He hardly ever come upstairs anymore..........I guess he is just too tired or slow. He spends about 20 hours a day on his pillow in his little basket bed I made for him on the big chair in the living room. But for now, we are both happy as he is purring gently in mommy's warm embrace.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hey Marianne!! Found your blog...sweet about the kitty - we lost one of our 13 year old mutts in January. They were litter-mates and it does seem sad for one of them to be gone.

And I love the crab-cake recipe. We're going with Duane's sis and her hubby up to Annapolis next weekend to the yearly boat show. We've gone the past several years and we always find this sidewalk vendor that makes the most luscious crab-cakes known to man. About the size of your hand and 1 1/2 inches thick and SO much fresh crabmeat - he puts it on a whopper sized bun...yum, 'specially if it's chilly outside. OK, I'm going to have to get the stuff and make some just to tide me over!! See ya, K