Friday, September 26, 2008

The days are getting shorter!

Fall is right around the corner. Well officially fall has arrived according to the calendar, but we still have warm summer-like days. I actually love fall and think it is my favorite season. I used to proclaim spring as my favorite season, but the crisp mornings with crystal blue skies and low humidity and sunny afternoons with warm colors make me love it more. We treasure days down at our beach house in Cherrygrove where we can spend a few hours on the beach in our bathing suits lounging in the sun soaking up the last rays of sun. We call them "bonus days!"

However, there is some sadness that is looming. I am an active person and thoroughly enjoy evening walk, runs and bike rides, especially since the temps are cooler and the humidity lower. But I know I better enjoy them while I can, as the days are getting noticeably shorter and I know that pretty soon it will be dark when I get home from work. Just today, I im'ed Jim at work to ask if he wanted to go for a bike ride when we got home from work. If so, I would come straight home without going to Curves, so we could squeeze in a bike ride before it got dark. I even contemplated waiting to get gas tomorrow so I wouldn't waste the precious daylight minutes. When I got home, I immediately went upstairs and changed so we could get on our way. We biked about 45 minutes, and it wasn't until we got back inside the house that I noticed how dark it was outside. It suddenly sunk into my head that we had a lot of SAD months of winter to go through yet.

Then I remembered a conversation I had with my dad one day walking at the beach. He remarked that the first day of winter is the happiest day of the year because from that point on, the days are getting longer! So does that make the first day of summer the saddest day of the year, even though summer has barely begun?

1 comment:

Mary Tysinger said...

OCTOBER--INDIAN SUMMER--WALK/RUNNING--S.A.D,

OCTOBER IS A BEAUTIFUL MONTH.YOU CAN LOOK FOWARD TO COOL MORNINGS PLEASANT DAYS AND THE ABSENCE OF A LOT OF RAIN.EQUINOX WITH ITS CHANGEABLE WEATHER HAS PASSED.AND WE ARE LOOKING FOREWARD TO SOME STABLE WEATHER.
tHE LEAVES ARE BEGINING TO SHOW THEIR BEAUTIFUL SHADES. oCTOBER IS OUR WEDDING MONTH. AND WHO DOESN'T REMEMBER THEIR WEDDING DATE.
OCTOBER IS ALSO KNOWN AS 'INDIAN SUMMER'THE LAST CHANCETO PLANT AND HARVEST YOUR FOOD CROPS BEFORE WINTER SETS IN AND CAN'T PLANT ANY MORE CROPS UNTILL SPRING.-GET READY FOR WINTER-.
SINCE I AM AFFECTED BY S.A.D THESE BEAUTIFUL MORNINGS HAVE BEEN WONDERFUL ,AS OF TODAY WE HAD 11HOURS AND 43 MINUTES OF SUNSHINE AND 12HOURS OF NO SUNSHINE BUT IF YOU DELAY YOUR ARISING TIME TO MATCH THE SUN RISE TIME AND THEN START YOUR MORNING WALK/RUN YOU GET A LOT OF RELIEF FROM S.A.D
RUNNING IS STILL AMAZING ,SOMETIMES YOU DON'T THINK YOU WANT TO DO IT BUT JUST DO IT.AFTER YOU HAVE DONE ALL YOU CAN DO.YOUR HEART IS POUNDING.YOUR GASPING FOR BREATH THE ADREALINGS ARE FLOWING,YOU HAVE SUCH AN OPTIMISTIC FEELING.
I AM ENJOYING OCTOBER- INDIAN SUMMER,BY WALK RUNNING,
I SEE MYSELF FREE OF S.A.D. TILL THANKSGIVING THEN I'LL FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO LATCH ON TO.
I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED