Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Wrong.............er, well, Shady Side of the Street!

My mom always told me to walk on the left side of the street facing traffic, but I never really understood that til I was older. It just seems wrong since we drive on the right side. Now that I am a runner, I definitely "get it!"

Monday morning I got up early, checked email, worked a bit, then headed out for a run at about 9 am to get it done before it got too hot. I ran down to the boat ramp at Vista Point at Jordan lake and decided to walk/run back. It was beginning to get a bit warm as the sun rose higher in the sky. Normally, I would be running on the left side or the west side of the street on the way back since the road is basically a north south road. But most of the shade was on the right side of the road, so I broke all the rules, chased the shade, and ran on the right (literally and appropriately) side of the road.

I ran/walked 6.5 miles in 95 minutes! And on the way back, it's all uphill!

2 comments:

Karen said...

well considering how lightly traveled that road probably is, you're probably safe on either side...

you are too good! 6.5 miles - wow - that's impressive....i struggle with 2 miles on my treadmill....motivation problem, mostly.

see ya!

Joyce Mineer said...

You do whatcha' gotta' do!!! (just be safe girlfriend!)