Sunday, January 15, 2012

Green Smoothies!

I have been on a different mission for food for Alex. He has gained sufficient weight now even without his feeding tube and we are actually concerned that he is gaining too much weight. If he gets too heavy, it will make physical therapy difficult for him and moving him from wheelchair to bed and back more physically demanding for us. So I guess the McDonald's milkshake era has come to an end, except for special treats!

Smoothies have taken over! They are lower in fat and calories and sugar and I try to make them healthier for him by adding spinach and cranberries since they are such good anti-oxidants. Since Wilson's is a liver disease, I am doing all I can to make his diet liver-friendly to repair the damage done by the copper. They are all natural too and he seems to really like them!

1/2 cup 2% milk
1 6 oz container vanilla coconut lowfat yogurt (Light and Lively)
1 scoop Visalus protein powder (not too much copper)
1 big handful fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup cranberries (ours were frozen)
3/4 cup frozen strawberries

I am sure there are many variations of this that we will try.......I am thinking bananas, mangoes, fresh mint leaves, blueberries, apples...........just keep the spinach and it makes it green and good. My daughter Jenni, makes these for Tipp to sneak in veggies!!

Blend it in the blender!! This is Alex approved!

No comments: