Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Really now, DOT??

The NC Dept of Transportation must be trying to get us to speed on the highways these days! There is a sign on the Durham Freeway just before Alexander Drive that has had estimated arrival times for Duke Street and 15-501 on there for the past couple of weeks. Usually when there isn't any delays, it states 4-8 minutes to get to Duke Street. Being the curious person that I am, I timed how long it took me along with how many miles it is.

I was suprised to find that it is 6.5 miles from that sign to the Duke St. exit and it took me about 6 minutes to get there.Tthe speed limit is 65 for about half the way and 55 the rest of the way. So I figure it averages out to 60 miles an hour, which is a mile a minute. Minimum time to get there should be 6 - 7 minutes. So how can one get there in 4 minutes? You gotta drive 97 miles per hour! Wonder if Mr State Trooper would like that idea?

No comments: