Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fried Jicama

Since I have been on a low carb diet, potatoes are definitely out! No french fries! Ok so I have had maybe 3 or 4 because Alex likes to tempt me!

Introducing the Jicama, otherwise known as a "Mexican potato" or a "Mexican Yam Bean." It's actually kin to sweet potatoes and I hate them! Many people describe the taste as being a cross between a white potato and an apple because it is a bit sweet. However, it is low in carbs, fat free and high in Vitamin C. Once peeled and cut, it lasts up to 2 weeks in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator and does not turn brown. It can be used in place of chips or crackers for spinach dip or cut thinly or in strips and fried as potato chips or fries.



It took me awhile to find them and I finally went to Harris Teeter on the advice of a friend. So on Sunday, I cut them in strips and fried em up in a little olive oil, added salt and pepper and some low sugar ketchup. They were pretty good, tasted almost like french fries with a hint of sweetness.


1 comment:

Karen said...

yum! i've never heard of that. enjoyed your "tea talk". have fun! love, k